Thursday, May 28, 2009

I'm a Painter too




I've been buried in old issues of Quilting Arts Magazine Judie was kind enough to share with me. It is amazing how creative and uninhibited quilt artists are. Since I have a hard time finding commercial fabrics that inspire me, I decided I am going to paint my own canvas, if you will. I purchased some PFD (prepared for dying) fabric and textile paints and all the assorted goodies that a painter needs and I am embarking on designing my own fabric. I even got some Tjaunting tools to draw with batik wax- way cool stuff. After painting and dying, I will draw with my thread to add dimension and detail.



I think it was Judy Coates Perez' blog that pushed me over the edge to bite the bullet and plunge into painting on fabric. Her work is incredible. You can check her out at www.judyperez.blogspot.com

I'm also studying color theory with her. We are doing an online interactive 6 week class using Setacolor transparent paints on watercolor paper to make our own color wheels, combinations, etc. It starts next week, and I can't wait.


And if you know me, you know I usually don't do anything half way, so to get a shot of self confidence before putting paint to fabric (which can get expensive) , I've spent the last 2 Wednesday nights at a watercolor painting class, where I am just about done with my very first watercolor picture. It's called "View from a Window" and depicts a set of shutters open with a view towards the water, where a sailboat sits, with the mountains in the background. I am doing a second watercolor of the Jupiter lighthouse next- Jay doesn't know about this project, since I want to give him the painting for his birthday in July....so don't tell!


I'm happy to report that while my hip is still on injured reserve I am back on my bike and up to 7 miles in the morning time. Gotta love it!


Until next time,



Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment