Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Dogwood Panel is Finished!


Well, here it is.  I finished the dogwood panel that will be part of the Blue Ridge Parkway's 75th Anniversary Commemorative Quilt. 

I really enjoyed making the panel.  It measures 36 x 16.  I used my own hand-dyed fabrics and chose invisible machine applique as the technique.  For the thread play I tried and LOVED YLI Variations, a 35 wt trilobal polyester.  It has a wonderful sparkle to it and quilted up beautifully.  I almost put a green/yellow fabric in the center of each one, but instead decided to jazz it up a bit with # 8 and # 11 seed beads.  My friend Elaine showed me the moss stitch which I used in clusters in the center of each dogwood.


I unveiled it at yesterday's board meeting of the guild to many oohs and ahhs.  That was awesome!  As this was my first time participating in a group quilt project, I was so nervous my work wouldn't be up to par with everyone else's...  You really wouldn't believe how much stress I had over this.  And for what? 


Now I'm ready to start dyeing fabric for the quilt I've designed for the big quilt show in Asheville this summer.  It's going to be held at the NC Arboretum, a beautiful 434-acre sanctuary in the Bent Creek Experimental Forest inside the Pisgah National Forest and a short distance from the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I'll keep you posted!!

2 comments:

  1. Just stunning! Can't wait to see all the pieces come together... hint! Also can't wait to see your latest quilt!

    ReplyDelete